Whether hot or cold, as finger food or a main course, the Emmentaler AOP Rondo is always a treat.
- Gently warm the milk (the yeast will die if the milk is too hot) and dissolve the yeast in it.
- Knead all the ingredients to a smooth dough. This can take up to 10 minutes. Cover the dough and leave to prove until twice its size (approx. 2 hours).
- Grease a baking tray (or baking tin) with a 28-30 cm diameter and line the bottom with baking paper. Do not knead the dough anymore! Simply place it onto the tray or tin and press it in, to the required size. Raise the edges slightly.
- Briefly mix the crème fraîche with the yolk and spices and spread over the top of the dough. Leave the edges free (approx. 1 cm). Sprinkle ¾ of the chopped pumpkin and the spring onion over the top.
- Spread the diced Emmentaler AOP evenly over the top of the crème fraîche mixture; likewise with the rest of the pumpkin.
- Place the Rondo into the cold oven and set the oven to 50 °C (top and bottom heat) and leave for 30 minutes. Then turn up the oven to 180 °C (top and bottom heat) and leave for approx. 25 minutes.
- Serve the Emmentaler AOP Rondo hot or cold. The Rondo is ideal for drinks, as a finger food, a snack or as a starter or main course served with a salad.
- Divide the dough up into 20 balls roughly the same size. Place in a greased muffin tin, press down flat and add the topping. This version requires only half the amount of topping.
- The baking instructions are the same as for the large Emmentaler AOP Rondo except that the baking time at 180 °C is reduced to approx. 18-20 minutes.
The choice of cheese determines the spiciness.
- mild: Emmentaler AOP Classic matured for 4 months
- mild – spicy: Emmentaler AOP Extra matured for 12 months
- spicy: matured for 24 months; consult your favourite cheese dairy for advice!
Author: Caro & Tobi www.foodwerk.ch